Friday, September 26, 2008

Forgotten Treasures

Have you ever tucked something special away or put it up on a high shelf somewhere only to stumble across it months later and be pleasantly surprised? Yesterday I forged through the bins in our garage to find my fall decorations. I brought my meager collection inside with the anticipation of spreading some fall and Halloween spirit around the house. With a pop of the lid there I saw a Home Goods bag right at the top of the bin full of two carefully wrapped surprises. In that moment feeble recognition began to take shape in my head. It went something like this...Home Goods..hmmmm I haven't been to that fabulous place in months!..I really NEED to go...but wait, why is there a Home Goods bag in my Halloween stuff??...did I buy something fantastic there and forget about it??...(open bag) ohhh, I loved these little Halloween people...I debated about buying them...Wow look at the tag. 5 bucks!!!...AWESOME...why didn't I buy two more!!



So now these forgotten treasures have their perfect spot and looking at them makes me smile for several reasons, they are colorful and kind of quirky -I love quirky- but the day they were found was a rare special day. It was a sisters weekend and each of my loved sisters -minus one- flew into Phoenix for the weekend. Those few days were days of lots of girl indulgence which included a trip to Home Goods. They were perfect, fun days. I miss that day, I miss them.

Which brings me to another thought...

Next week my youngest sister moves from Utah to Pennsylvania. I am sad. I should not be so sad. I still do not see her very often. But right now our states touch. I could drive to see her if I really wanted to and could be there by tonight. Somehow that comforts me. But not anymore. She is such a wonderful person. The kind of person anyone would wish as their next door neighbor. And somewhere in Pennsylvania there are two very lucky families that have no idea that they are very soon going to get some of the greatest people ever as their new friends and neighbors.

Lucky lucky them.

1 comment:

Annie Dalton said...

you always know just what to say to tug at my heartstrings and bring tears to my eyes. why do you have to say these sorts of things when the moving truck is coming in two days? maybe it's your blog music but the emotion is overwhelming. i need to yell at my kids or something to get me out of this crying spell.
btw, i remember when you got your homegoods purchase and i remember thinking how much i loved how much you loved your funny little halloween friends and couldn't wait til next halloween. love you, lol.