I have a 3 plus year old who is very reluctantly potty training. It started months ago actually. An with SLOW progress and desperation we tried all the tricks. NEW TOILET-Danny was a little hesitant with the big toilet so we found one just his size that even sings when the deed is done! Likes the toilet but found he can get it to sing if he just pours water in it! :( Tricky little devil. BRIBERY-you can have a sucker every time you go!! Since my child's preferred diet is about 95% sugar, 5% ranch dressing I figured this would do the trick. COMPETITION- "cousin Ryan goes potty in the toilet!" I know you are not supposed to compare but we were desperate for even an ounce of interest and Danny talks about cousin Ryan so much his name is probably mumbled in his sleep. MICKEY MOUSE UNDIES- We went to the store and picked out his very favorite character underpants. This worked for Brooke but Danny's are still neatly folded in his drawer right next to his DIAPERS!! MORE BRIBERY- We headed for Target for the toy of his choosing which for weeks we put it in the bathroom right next to his throne to remind him what he was working for. Still...nothing. What do I do? I am putting a call for help out to all you experienced Mom's for any kind of advice that might help a reluctant trainer.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
I've got the potty training blues
I have a 3 plus year old who is very reluctantly potty training. It started months ago actually. An with SLOW progress and desperation we tried all the tricks. NEW TOILET-Danny was a little hesitant with the big toilet so we found one just his size that even sings when the deed is done! Likes the toilet but found he can get it to sing if he just pours water in it! :( Tricky little devil. BRIBERY-you can have a sucker every time you go!! Since my child's preferred diet is about 95% sugar, 5% ranch dressing I figured this would do the trick. COMPETITION- "cousin Ryan goes potty in the toilet!" I know you are not supposed to compare but we were desperate for even an ounce of interest and Danny talks about cousin Ryan so much his name is probably mumbled in his sleep. MICKEY MOUSE UNDIES- We went to the store and picked out his very favorite character underpants. This worked for Brooke but Danny's are still neatly folded in his drawer right next to his DIAPERS!! MORE BRIBERY- We headed for Target for the toy of his choosing which for weeks we put it in the bathroom right next to his throne to remind him what he was working for. Still...nothing. What do I do? I am putting a call for help out to all you experienced Mom's for any kind of advice that might help a reluctant trainer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i hear you laura--wyatt is closing in on 3, and not anywhere near ready to be trained. i think he could do it, just has no interest. with my others, an m&m jar in the bathroom worked like a dream (1 for pee, 2 for poo)...but it hasn't motivated him thus far.
sounds like danny is in control on this one, you may just have to wait a little longer...good luck!
hey laura, have you tried to potty watch. it is this cute watch shaped like a toilet, and sings a song every thirty mintues to remind them go to the potty. super cute. i havn't tried it personally, but know a few moms who have who loved it. good luck!
Seriously I have no advice I have only trained girls. They made it seem easy. This makes me very nervous for training Crew. I mean seriously I can only imagine what happens if they are distracted and running around naked (shudder). Crew might just have to stay in diapers till he is 5. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Miss you.
Hey! We had a very hard time with Aubrey. We ended up doing alot of charts where she could put stickers.. when she finished a line of stickers she got a prize... trip to McDonalds, time with just Dad at the park, toy, book etc.. it seemed to help. The biggest motivator was her wanting to go to preschool like Megan. We told her she had to go potty in the potty to do that and that seemed to help.
I am sorry you are having troubles with potty training. I don't have much advice other than when Carson discovered he could go outside and hose down whatever he wanted he became potty trained. I guess it was honing into his manliness! Can't wait to see you guys!
Laura,
I feel your pain! Ryker was 3 before he was trained. My longest by far. It took me 5 children to understand that they will train when they are darn, well ready and not a minute before. I just had to except that and let nature take its course.(Unfortunately they all are ready at different ages) As hard as it is to wait, that might be your only answer at this point. Just keep mentioning it to him in passing. "Big boys that go potty get to go to school, go to movies with dad, etc." One day it will just click and it will all be over. Ryker was definately my easiest and I think it was because he was ready instead of just mom being ready. :) Good Luck
It was the swedish fish and stickers that did the tricks for Keira but I'm sure every kid is different. I tried toys but they didn't work either.
Post a Comment